Apalit is a first class municipality in the
province of Pampanga, on Luzon Island in
the Philippines. According to the 2010
census, it has a population of 101,537
Apalit is surrounded by Macabebe,
Masantol, Minalin and San Simon in
Pampanga, and Calumpit, Pulilan, Baliuag
Address: Sn. Juan, Apalit, Pampanga
Telephone No : (045)-302-5233
Email: pampanga_apalit@yahoo.com
Website: apalit.gov.ph
M.I.S - Obeth Cayetano / Allen Dungo
Apalit got its name from the vernacular name of the first-class timber tree apalit or narra (Pretocarpus indicus), growing in the banks of the nearby
river the
predominantly enormous size and luxuriant foliage, this tree became, over the years, the legendary landmark for travelers and merchants alike living
along the river
banks such as those from southern Cabangbangan and Capalangan and those from Calumpit as well. It phenomenal umbrella-like shade gave
place later to the
market size.
In the Balagtas will, it is recorded that the great Malangsic along with his nephews. Taui and Pampalong also known as Macapagal founded Sulipan
Capalangan. Likewise, Capitangan, elder brother of Taul and Pampalong married to a lady bayinda and later in the 16th century, one Agustin
Mangaya was
entered as the founder of Apalit.
The existence of the Municipality of Apalit was recorded as early as 1587, the same year the first Augustinian mission was established. However, the
foundation was only in 1590. The Augustinian missionaries that were assigned in Apalit were: Fray Pedro de Vedoya, Fray Pedro dela Pena (1626).
Fray Geronimo
de Paredes (1632),Fray Cristobal de Miranda (1641), Fray Enrique de Castro (1654), and Fray Andres de Salazar (1656).
The parochial church and then convent of Apalit were built in the years 1629-1630. The church in barque is as present the source of pride among its
The nucleus of this town were four encomiendas, namely: Capalangan, Apali of Pale, la Castilla and Cabambangan. After the boundaries of the
town were
delineated, the encomienda La Castilla was made the poblacion and was renamed San Juan after the patron namesake of the first Capitan.
Soon after the Spanish Conquistador Miguel Lopez de Legaspi occupied Manila in 1571, Martin de Goiti was dispatched by Legaspi to effect the
submission of
Pampanga. Hardly had the conquest of Pampanga been completed it was formally created into province. About that time, the Spaniards were
looking for a native
canon maker whose canons called lantaka were found to be of superior quality. Pira, known as Panday Pira, the canon maker was finally found in
Capalangan of
this town among his relatives where he established a small blacksmith and foundry shop to evade the Spaniards in Manila. When the time for the
Filipinos to rise
up in arms against Spain came, the people of this town were not found wanting. The local revolutionaries fought the Spanish forces, known as
Casadores who
were stationed in the tribunal at the town plaza in an all night pitch battle. Wounded in the encounter were Tomas Torres and Simon Mananquil. In
the morning the
Casadores escaped towards Macabebe where again a battle was fought along the railroad tracks. The local rebels likewise came of the Spanish
troops from the
north under General Monet who likewise were retreating to Macabebe by way of Sto. Tomas and Minalin.
In the ensuing battle against the American Invaders, the Apalit troops fought under the command of both Gen. Antonio Luna and General Tomas
Mascardo from as
far as south of Malolos to Porac in the west. Among those prominently mentioned were their officers: Capt. Luis Mamangun, Capt. Macario
Catacutan, and Lt.
Francisco Punzalan. Among those who served the colors were: Roman Pangan, Manuel Catacutan, Benigno Sese, Donato Vergara, Evaristo Catu,
Buan, Macario Macatuno. Tomas Torres, to mention a few. The later Cayetano Dalusung were the heads during the struggle. The latter`s home
served as cuartel
for the local rebels. It was in 1705 the municipal govenrnent of Apalit was inaugurated.
The American interlude in the Philippines was interrupted by the invasion of the Japanese imperial Army. The first Japanese troops came to this
town on a boat in
the afternoon of January 2,1943. Like their forbears. The people of this town once more joined the fight against the invaders. The war widows and
the orphans who
newer saw their fathers are mute testimony of the ravages of war inflicted on these people. The survivors of that war still among us to relieve their
war experience.
Perhaps the most outstanding contribution of this town in the from the time he slipped by submarine off the coast of Mindoro during the part of the